Monday 1 December 2014

Winter Baby Girl Quilt #10 - Basted!

December? Really? Wow. Well, good on me that I spent November being all serious about my Winter Baby Girl Quilt because I'm certainly quilting on borrowed time. Only 3.5 weeks until the due date and babies do tend to show up earlier in our family...


I finally finished assembling the top and backing and have basted my quilt today. Quite a feat. Let me assure you that cutting and pinning curtains on the floor at 28 weeks is definitely-entirely-utterly different from basting a quilt on the same floor at 37 weeks. Huffpuff, I had to go much much slower with some serious breaks and boy am I glad to be done with it. No more of this until after the baby.


Since the front is a rather busy nightsky of stars and snowflakes I kept the backing simple. It should make a nice canvas for the quilting and hand quilting I'm planning. The simplicity does appeal to me and I think a quilt with just one big, intricate star on a darker background with tons of handquilted tiny stars and snowflakes above the trees would also look absolutely stunning.

Never fear, though, those aren't second thoughts. I'm still chuffed with how this quilt is turning out. Seeing it basted - quilts immediately look so much more substantial once the sandwich is done, don't you think? - has given me another huge boost and I can imagine it finished in time. But not tonight. I think I'll cut into some fabrics for cushions for a change and will keep the quilting for tomorrow.

Happy sewing!

Fresh Sewing DaySmall Blog Meet



11 comments:

  1. Basting on the floor is a challenge any time; can't imagine it at 37 weeks. Lovely quilt--I like the varied sized blocks. And the back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic quilt...both front and back look great. Best wishes with the little one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's beautiful! I remember trying to baste with a big belly in the way, and it was not so fun! Sending good birthing vibes your way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What at nice quilt to welcome your baby with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those stars and snowflakes are beautiful! Three months ago I was basting on the floor at 9 months pregnant and was miserable, too. My mom has kitchen island countertop that's 4 feet wide and about 6 or 7 feet long; I basted a baby quilt there and felt some serious kitchen-jealousy - it was delightful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just love that border print. It's perfect combined with you stars, I would have never thought of using it that way! Congrats and take it easy silly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful. I must say I think that I like the back as much as the front - a truly double sided quilt x

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the tree print you used on the quilt, it goes so well with the pieced sections.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love it!! Have a wonderful time quilting it. It is so cool how different a quilt looks after it's sandwiched, and again after its quilted. Best wishes for you and the baby!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you do not have to wait long for your baby girl and everything is going well. I love your baby quilt.
    Love from Amsterdam

    ReplyDelete
  11. SO lovely - love the fact it is not pink for a Girl ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you're a no-reply commenter I'll reply on the blog so please check back.