Wednesday 19 September 2012

W.i.P. - Hexie H(e)aven

My husband has been away for a week, today. He's already working down south and I'm missing him dearly. On top, I've decided to have my sewing machine serviced so The Dark Sewing Machine-Less Days have started earlier than expected. With the considerable amount of time dedicated to packing and other things it's best not to feel guilty about not using a machine that's present, though. Further, after two years of sewing it really deserved being taken care of professionally.

I boxed up my stash on Monday but spent time cutting into it before that as I'm afraid hand quilting the Viking baby quilt won't be enough to keep me busy during the less stressful moments. Do you love hexies? Then you'll like my tin. Or do you hate them? then this tin is not for you.


Cutting the shapes took about 1.5 hours. With 54 already basted hexies I now have enough in this tin to make another 41 flowers. Still need to cut six sheets of paper shapes, though - probably my least favourite part but right now I prefer printing on waste paper and cutting to spending money.


Add my 29 finished flowers and I'll have 70 flowers to work with - not quite enough for a quilt. I might have to make even more flowers or decide to work with a neutral between all my flowers? I'm in no rush, though.


Stats for the Week

Finished Projects - none, or do packed moving boxes count?

Ongoing Projects - 4
Viking Baby quilt -  top finished
EPP hexies - 29 finished flowers + enough cut shapes for another 41
Polaroid blocks Tote
EPP parallelograms/stars

Planning Stage - 3
Chair cushions for my sister - yardage ordered

Yoshi quilt - yardage ordered
Wedding Anniversary quilt

Happy sewing!

14 comments:

  1. i love the tin, but hexigons scare me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just got some paper piecing hexagons and started a project this week. Love the tin.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I covet your tin! I am a huge hexie fan, I just finished my first machine pieced hexie quilt. It was amazing how quickly it went. =)
    And you should check out this tutorial. She has a great way of prepping her hexies so you can remove the paper and re-use them immediately. I haven't tried it yet because I haven't had any hexies to prep for awhile, but I'd probably starch them a little so they don't get messed up when stitching.
    http://beeinmybonnetco.blogspot.com/2010/04/hexie-paper-piecing-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what is in the tin, but I have yet to make any hexies myself, but I would love to. I think it is about time I try! I am stopping by from the WIP hop. I would love to have you stop by and see my WIP as well :) http://domesticdeficitdisorder.blogspot.com/2012/09/wednesday-wips.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes a tin full of hard work bt cute nonetheless. Yes packing boxes count! That is a huge job. Keep a tally on how many you pack...I will appreciate it. We will be moving before Christmas so the same task awaits me. Need to declutter first though.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fab tin and hexies! Fingers crossed the packing goes well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love hexis! Working on one as well with no time frame to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  8. How cool is hexie tin with hexies in it! Lovely fabrics in there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The hexies are looking good but the tin is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nice hexies. They are my evening handwork but I got tired of the time it takes to cut them. Now I cut squares from 2 1/2" strips, baste them to my cardstock foundations, then trim off the excess fabric. Wastes very little fabric and saves so much cutting time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the tin of hexies. I was wondering how long it would take to make some... now I know!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks like you've got lots to keep you busy! I love hexies, but more when other people make things with them haha :) I have a box of hexies and charm squares for a quilt I started ages ago...I really should get back to that....anyway, your little tin is adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sweet hexies! Definitely nice to have a little project to work on during the move. Oh and packing boxes absolutely counts!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the tin! And I love making hexies too. I'm working on a few different projects using hexies now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment! If you're a no-reply commenter I'll reply on the blog so please check back.