Saturday, 13 September 2014

Nursery Curtains #1

The first step towards pretty nursery curtains has been taken as I've just finished these twelve hangers.

I'm keeping an eye on the clock this time around because even if it's a labour of love it's good to know just how much actual labour goes into things (and in case anyone asks me to make some for them I can point to that on top of material costs). 1.75 hours of ironing, cutting, ironing, chain-stitching, ironing-turning-ironing, top-stitching, ironing. Not too quick but not too slow either as I'm working very carefully.

Next up: ironing two lengths of fabric for the first curtain's body, cutting lengths to perfection, pinning. Washing two lengths of fabric for curtain number two. Not before a well-deserved break, though.

Happy sewing!

TGIFF - Zig Zag Scarf Edition

Finally! I've finally finished the blue and grey zig zag for my sister. Never mind that it had a November 2013 birthday deadline, I'm just glad that it's done after nearly 11 months and ready for the approaching autumn weather.

Knitting began in October 2013 once I had quickly made up my own version in a thicker yarn to gain confidence in the pattern. Alas, the fingering weight yarn which the pattern called for drove me insane. Progress could hardly be seen even after sessions of several hours which was demotivating. Transitioning into work life and new responsibilities also took it's toll. I'm not a summer knitter and with gran's death and the pregnancy - I ended up not touching this WIP for at least six months if not eight, best not think about it, although it was only a few repeats from a finish.

Anyway, it's done! My own version was a bit longer than necessary so I'd decided to make the one for my sister shorter. This is how the loops compare in size.

And another close-up. It's a beautiful pattern, easy to memorise and easily manipulated for wonderful colour effects but if I make another one it'll definitely be in DK weight or thicker. Now, cue the celebration that I'm freed up for other guilt-free knitting projects as well as my quilting.

Happy sewing & knitting!

Sunday, 7 September 2014

Maritime Baby Girl Quilt #2

Last weekend I made some progress on the baby girl quilt front. Not only did I wash the fabrics for our little one but I also spent time with the mermaids of the Maritime Baby Girl Quilt for B's little sister.

Not much, granted, but enough to keep me satisfied. I'm sure I would be quicker with a proper block and layout but I don't mind. It's interesting to work with less of a plan and see the quilt grow nonetheless.

Most of all I'm just glad to be creative again and I adore these teeny mermaids.

This weekend, alas, had to be spent in bed due to a nasty cold but it hasn't kept me from being creative. I've taken up my sister's scarf again. Yes, the one with the November 2013 deadline - I'm determined to make the November 2014 one! This is an old picture - it's actually only a few repeats away from being giftable.

Further, I spent considerable time on ravelry and have tracked down two cowl patterns as well as a hat pattern that I'm dying to try out for quick but pretty knits. After finishing my sister's zig zag, of course. But I simply had to ponder and order yarn already. Best to be prepared, right? Most importantly, it's all DK/8-ply Worsted/10-ply yarn. No more sock yarn for me - I've grown to despise the stuff.

On top of that I've also ordered backing fabric for little one's curtains - Kona Regatta will go with this beauty.

To speed up the delivery I've ordered it from a German store this time. As I'm slowly starting to notice the pregnancy more, I'm 25 weeks along after all, it's probably best to get the curtain sewing out of the way as quickly as possible. Crawling on the floor pinning fabric panels of nearly two metres length (and that twice!) won't be the most fun thing to do but I do want these badly and at least I don't have to make sure that the stripes are perfectly vertical this time around.

Happy sewing!